Recognition & Awards
- M.S., Civil Engineering – Loyola Marymount University
- B.S., Environmental Science – California State University, San Bernardino
- Corporate Leadership Program – Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan
- Co-Author, White Paper – “A Brine Approach for the Owens Lake.” This paper presents the benefits of using brine as a Best Available Control Measure to control PM10 on the dry lakebed due to brine’s low emissivity
- Member, American Water Works Association
- Member, Western Dredging Association
- Member, American Association of Port Authorities
Kenneth Ortega has over three decades of planning, entitlement, design, construction, funding, operations & maintenance and program management experience, and executive leadership in the public and private water/wastewater industry, He has a solid track record of building high-performance teams and delivering superior results delivering hundreds of projects for a total in excess $1 billion in value over his career.
His broad experience managing large-scale complex projects and programs; building and leading multi-disciplinary technical teams, developing multi-year capital improvement programs; implementing sustainable asset management strategies; and leading innovation and organizational change earned him recognition in 2002 as Engineer of the Year by the American Society of Civil Engineers. He has also received similar honors for his industry contributions from the American Public Works Association, American Water Works Association, and the Association of California Water Agencies.
Kenneth has extensive experience evaluating potable water, wastewater, and stormwater portfolios, urban and agricultural water management planning, water use efficiency program planning and analysis, supply and demand forecasting, potable water, recycled water, and wastewater distribution system master planning, integrated master planning, water supply alternatives analyses, non-potable reuse planning, and various other water supply management activities. He has also planned and managed various resource projects, including data management for supply and demand forecasting, holistic water supply analyses, as well as cost-effectiveness analysis of water use efficiency measures and programs.